Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The first (and only) food blog post

When the "f"unemployed mind searches for things with which to amuse itself, I'll admit: cooking and baking have become an obsession as of late. There's something supremely satisfying about figuring out budget friendly recipes that don't get repetitive.

My proudest concoction? Homemade chicken stock from leftover rotisserie chicken bones and winter vegetables. I've used it for chicken noodle soup as well as a base for a delicious chicken and dumpling recipe. It keeps for up to a week in the refrigerator and 6 months in the freezer. Luckily my domestic counterpart has been a willing royal food tester of sorts because he'll eat pretty much anything. The compliments are abound in this household even if it isn't Food Network worthy!

That said, I've made it a point to try cooking and eating in the style specific to the region for each place I've called home. I won't list all of my explorations because many of them haven't turned out to be blog-worthy. The following are a couple of highlights from the last 10-ish years. The take home? Diets are for noobs!

Wyoming


If you are under the impression that the square state is a winter-laden wasteland not worth exploring (thanks to what you see while driving through on I-80), believe you me that when harvest comes, the bounty is plentiful! We have a consistent record of harvesting a crapload of chokecherries, rhubarb, and apples from the family ranch and transforming them into this:



Not to mention, where else can you walk 5 minutes down the river to catch this (I'm referring to the fish, not the handsome Californian cowboy in the raincoat-turned-inside out):


And turn it into this?


I LOVE THIS WILD AND WONDERFUL STATE!

Santa Barbara, CA

I didn't really capture cooking photos during my two year stint in Santa Barbara. There was plenty of seafood and bar grub while I was there, but I'd have to say that this was my most favorite culinary moment during grad school. Who can so no to 31 tacos and bean burritos from Taco Bell for their 31st birthday?


San Francisco, CA

Again, not many photos of my culinary endeavors during the six years that I lived here, save for drunken bar photos and a few moments from birthday parties thanks to Facebook archives. This gem is from my 20-something'th birthday when I hosted a shrimp boil to celebrate Mardis Gras season. Not really San Francisco-themed but the giant gold horse and life sized Barbie head are as close as it gets to capturing the SF weirdness.



Vancouver, WA

If you EVER want to enjoy oysters the right way, you should move to the Pacific Northwest. I can't say enough good things about the seafood out here! The coast is extremely accessible even from janky ol' Vancouver and it's very easy to find fresh seafood within an hour or two by car.

Bret and I spent our anniversary weekend at Umpqua Lighthouse State Park which is a little over halfway down the coast of Oregon. Lord almighty did we enjoy what we found at Clausen Oysters, just north of Coos Bay. We scouted a spot on the most expansive beach I've ever seen and barbecued the s&#% outta two dozen oysters. Best memory of our move to the Northwest to-date!




Epilogue:

By now you probably realize that this post is very hypocritical of me to write. I absolutely can't stand food-centric social media anything. Be it food pictures, cocktail close-ups, restaurant check-ins, food blog entries,* recipe shares...they're all a pet peeve of mine.

This mostly stems from the fact that you can't physically imbibe in digital culinary crafts so what's the point? It's all one big "F you" to the senses. Plus each post contributes to a growing case of FOMO that this girl is seriously trying to get over now that I'm home alone most days and subject to a major budget. Either way, I promise that this will be the only time I write about food. At least for the time being.

*One exception: my friend's food-turned-adventure-and-travel blog does a good job of keeping FOMO at bay. It even gave me a great idea for this year's Christmas presents to friends and family!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on regional food and what one does with it! Only problem? You made me hungry.

    ReplyDelete