If you're 35 and married but childless, apparently it's a good time to take up new hobbies. Here's what's filled my free time in the last few months:
New hobby #1: Learning to play the accordion
Last Christmas I asked Bret for an accordion. Thinking that it'd be something I could save to learn one day when I retire, I figured it would fit well into the lineup of my other hobbies that have a tendency to be taken up by old people (read: quilting).
It was a hair-brained idea and I never thought there'd actually be any follow through. But in true Husband-of-the-Year fashion, Bret busted out some mad gifting skills and found one on sale in Fort Collins. One "sick" day off from work turned into a secret purchase that became my massive Christmas surprise.
BEHOLD: my vintage Italian-made Camerano 120-button piano accordion with mother of pearl inlays and original leather shoulder straps. Ain't she a beaut?!
I thought it'd be easy to find lessons locally but turns out that not a whole lot of people know how/have any interest in learning to play the accordion. Instead I've turned to a teach yourself accordion lesson book that I got at Guitar Center and resort to finding weird stuff on Google Play Music for inspiration.
Right now I can play a pretty rockin' version of "Kum-bay-ya" and "Michael Row the Boat Ashore." Next up is learning how to play "C'mon Eileen" and "White Wedding"...you're welcome in advance ;)
Accordion fun facts that I've learned in the meantime:
New hobby #2: Becoming a backyard beekeeper
Back in 2012 when I was living in San Francisco I bought a Groupon to go to an urban beekeeping workshop. Not sure what possessed me to do that -- apparently it's the "cool" thing to do nowadays -- and obviously I didn't learn jack. From what I do remember it did solidify in my brain that: a) bees are pretty friggin' cool and b) there are plenty of opportunities to raise them no matter where you live.
Now that I got a home of my own, a blank canvas for a backyard, and live in a town that encourages apiary hobbyists, I've decided to start a hive this summer. $400 and tons of library books later, I'm ready to pick up my "nuc" (a small starter nucleus of bees that's been created from an existing hive) next week. Let the games begin!
In case you're wondering, here's what goes into starting backyard beekeeping as a hobby:
Step 1: Cut a hole in a box.
[Just kidding. Hey, I had to work in a reference to that song]
Step 1a: Read up on what it takes to keep bees.
Apparently there's a whole sub-culture out there of beekeepers and tons of resources. I've joined the Southeast Wyoming Beekeepers Association and plan to do the Beginner Beekeeping meetings for the summer.
Step 2: Figure out if you can afford it.
No joke, I've already spent $425 and counting on getting things set up. Just $75 on materials to build my own hive -- it would've been upwards of $300 if the hive building workshop organizer hadn't donated a crapload of materials. Plus $150 for the moon suit, veil, gloves, smoker, pellets, frames, and more. The nuc itself set me back $200.
Step 3: Make sure it's legal where you live.
Cheyenne is remarkably easygoing about keeping bees in city limits. You can have up to 5 hives per person per household. And unlike the backyard chickens ordinance, you don't have to ask your neighbors for permission!
My apiary registration is on this map here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=11syvafHgjSsV8Hxc2ocCfGf-uG0&ll=41.14796409225097%2C-104.82537299011233&z=14
Step 4: Finish the goddamn greenhouse already and get on with the backyard landscaping so the bees have a proper place to set up shop.
Yes, it's been over a year that we've worked on the greenhouse. And no, we haven't planted anything yet. But we're. So. Close! And the bees will have their own spot under the cottonwood where it's nice and shaded.
That's all for now. More updates on apiary and musical adventures to come!
New hobby #1: Learning to play the accordion
Last Christmas I asked Bret for an accordion. Thinking that it'd be something I could save to learn one day when I retire, I figured it would fit well into the lineup of my other hobbies that have a tendency to be taken up by old people (read: quilting).
It was a hair-brained idea and I never thought there'd actually be any follow through. But in true Husband-of-the-Year fashion, Bret busted out some mad gifting skills and found one on sale in Fort Collins. One "sick" day off from work turned into a secret purchase that became my massive Christmas surprise.
BEHOLD: my vintage Italian-made Camerano 120-button piano accordion with mother of pearl inlays and original leather shoulder straps. Ain't she a beaut?!
It's the best Christmas gift I've received in recent memory. And probably ever for that matter.
[The vodka we drank in celebration was also pretty good.]
I thought it'd be easy to find lessons locally but turns out that not a whole lot of people know how/have any interest in learning to play the accordion. Instead I've turned to a teach yourself accordion lesson book that I got at Guitar Center and resort to finding weird stuff on Google Play Music for inspiration.
Right now I can play a pretty rockin' version of "Kum-bay-ya" and "Michael Row the Boat Ashore." Next up is learning how to play "C'mon Eileen" and "White Wedding"...you're welcome in advance ;)
Accordion fun facts that I've learned in the meantime:
- Pretty much every continent has adapted the accordion into existing cultural music traditions.
- It's a reed instrument!
- The buttons on the left hand are called standard bass buttons and are arranged in a circle of fifths. A single button plays a chord.
- You can get pretty buff playing the accordion. Mine weighs about 35lbs so these wimpy shoulders appreciate the workout!
New hobby #2: Becoming a backyard beekeeper
Now that I got a home of my own, a blank canvas for a backyard, and live in a town that encourages apiary hobbyists, I've decided to start a hive this summer. $400 and tons of library books later, I'm ready to pick up my "nuc" (a small starter nucleus of bees that's been created from an existing hive) next week. Let the games begin!
In case you're wondering, here's what goes into starting backyard beekeeping as a hobby:
Step 1: Cut a hole in a box.
[Just kidding. Hey, I had to work in a reference to that song]
Step 1a: Read up on what it takes to keep bees.
Apparently there's a whole sub-culture out there of beekeepers and tons of resources. I've joined the Southeast Wyoming Beekeepers Association and plan to do the Beginner Beekeeping meetings for the summer.
Step 2: Figure out if you can afford it.
No joke, I've already spent $425 and counting on getting things set up. Just $75 on materials to build my own hive -- it would've been upwards of $300 if the hive building workshop organizer hadn't donated a crapload of materials. Plus $150 for the moon suit, veil, gloves, smoker, pellets, frames, and more. The nuc itself set me back $200.
Check out this exceptionally well-constructed Langstroth bee mansion!
Step 3: Make sure it's legal where you live.
Cheyenne is remarkably easygoing about keeping bees in city limits. You can have up to 5 hives per person per household. And unlike the backyard chickens ordinance, you don't have to ask your neighbors for permission!
My apiary registration is on this map here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=11syvafHgjSsV8Hxc2ocCfGf-uG0&ll=41.14796409225097%2C-104.82537299011233&z=14
Step 4: Finish the goddamn greenhouse already and get on with the backyard landscaping so the bees have a proper place to set up shop.
Yes, it's been over a year that we've worked on the greenhouse. And no, we haven't planted anything yet. But we're. So. Close! And the bees will have their own spot under the cottonwood where it's nice and shaded.
Bret should be proud. This is one solid year-round greenhouse.
That's all for now. More updates on apiary and musical adventures to come!



No comments:
Post a Comment